Explain normal distribution with suitable diagram. Discuss the characteristics and application of normal curve.
Answer – Normal distribution, A symmetrical bell-shaped curve. The two tails of the curve never touch the horizontal axis. It is completely symmetrical, there is a perfect balance between the right and left parts of the curve. It can be used to determine the percentage of the total area under the normal curve associated with any sigma distance from the mean. In any sigma distance above the mean, there are similar properties in the case because there is the same sigma distance below the mean.
The Characteristics of a normal survey –
Common curve probability is one of many possible models of distribution. The normal curve is not a single curve, but it is an infinite number of potential curves. The following are the characteristics of the normal curve.
- Normal curve consists of symmetrical distribution. This means that the left half right mirror image of the normal curve is the mirror image. If we turn the curve at its highest point in the center, then we will construct two equal parts. There is a similarity with the first and third quadrant median of a normal distribution. Mean mean and mode for curve is the same value of all. Medioca and mode in diagonal distribution occur at different points.
- The normal curve is unequal, in which there is only one peak or point which is the maximum frequency which indicates the middle of the curve.
- The curve is an asymptomatic. It means starting at the center of the curve and working towards the outside, the height of the curve gradually decreases slowly and then eventually.
- An important position exists at the peak of the curve. Although the curve descends immediately towards the horizontal axis but it does not really touch it. Therefore it is called asymmetrical curve.
- The normal curve has the highest armament in the center. All coordinated coordinates on both sides of the distribution are smaller than the highest.
- A large number of scores are relatively low on both sides. As the distance increases by the mean, the score decreases.
- A normal curve involves a continuous distribution.
Application of normal curve –
The main practical application of normal curve in psychological research is given below:
- It helps to convert raw score into standard score.
- With the help of normal curve, we can calculate the percentage rank of the given points.
- It is used to find boundaries in any normal distribution, which includes a percentage of cases.
- We can compare two distributions in the context of overlapping with the help of normal curve.
- It is used to determine the relative difficulty of test questions, problems and other test items.
- When the attribute is distributed normally, the normal curve is used to separate a given set of subgroups according to the capacity.