FREE IGNOU BEGAE-182 SOLVED ASSIGNMENT 2022-23
d) Homonyms and Homophones:
Homonyms are words that share the same spelling or pronunciation but have different meanings. For example, “bat” (a flying mammal) and “bat” (an implement for hitting in sports).
Homophones are words that sound the same but have different meanings and spellings. For instance, “their” (possessive form) and “there” (indicating a place). Another example is “flower” (a plant) and “flour” (used in baking).
e) Preferred Techniques of Reading for Understanding a Text:
- Skimming: Quickly glancing over the text to grasp the main ideas and structure.
- Scanning: Searching for specific information or keywords in the text.
- Active Reading: Engaging with the text by highlighting key points, taking notes, and asking questions.
- Summarizing: Condensing the main ideas and important details into a concise summary.
- Annotating: Marking the text with notes, comments, and highlights to enhance comprehension.
- Contextual Analysis: Understanding unfamiliar words or concepts by examining the context in which they are used.
- Reflective Reading: Pausing periodically to think about and internalize the content, making connections with personal experiences or prior knowledge.